Name: Matthew Boyle
1. Where are you from?
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
2. Where do you currently work?
Field Guide & The Clever Barkeep
3. How long have you been in the industry?
Since I was 16! 17 years (woah!)
4. If you could work with any other bartender in the world for one night who would it be?
GN Chan from Double Chicken Please
5. If you could visit any bar in the world where would it be?
Jerry Thomas Project – Milan, Italy
6. Who is your mentor, if you have one?
Jeff Van Horne @ The Clever Barkeep
7. Why do you feel MADE WITH LOVE, as a cocktail competition, is important for the Industry in Ottawa?
MADE WITH LOVE is the premiere cocktail competition in Canada and I believe that it is THE stepping stone for any competing bartender to get their name known on the national stage. It removes the stress and provides a fun and exciting alternative to some of the more stage-focused cocktail competitions in the world.
8. What is the skill you look for in a competitor when you are judging?
A good bartender is smooth, clean and precise. They are able to build the drink while telling a story; moving like a magician. When the story is finished, as is the cocktail. They treat every guest as if they’re in their living room, giving them the hospitality experience that makes them feel at home.
9. What is the most impressive thing you have ever seen a bartender do at a competition?
3D Printing their cocktail mix into a skull statue (MWL QC Finals 2016).
10. What’s the most frequent error competitors do in a competition?
11. What’s the biggest challenge a judge has?
Staying focused and engaged on every competitor until the end.
12. What is the most precious advice you could give to a competitor?
Have fun with it, you will always remember the experience and it is truly a joyful one which celebrates you as a bartender. Be yourself and let that shine through!