Halloween is already behind us and your pumpkin is still on the steps of your door?
The idea of making a pie or a soup of it doesn’t turn you on either?
I have another solution that will satisfy your thirst for creativity and spice up your autumn cocktails.
Create your own “Pumpkin Bitter”
Not convinced yet, I have arguments for everyone:
- Cocktail lovers will be pleased to know that pumpkin & bourbon complement each other in a most appealing way
- Planet Earth lovers will be relieved to know that there is one more Jack-O-Lantern saved from the trash after Halloween.
- Autumn lovers ; simply because a Pumpkin Old Fashioned is way more comforting than a “Pumpkin Spiced Latté”.
Let’s get cooking!
- 1 medium pumpkin, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 cups of Wild Turkey Bourbon
- 1 clove
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon of gentian root
- 1 full spoon of maple syrup
Dehydrate the pumpkin.
- Cut the pumpkin into slices and roast it slowly in the oven at 200 degrees F for 10-12 hours, turning them halfway through.
- Fill a mason jar of the dehydrated pumpkin slices then add the spices & bourbon. Let it steep for 3 weeks, away from direct sunlight. Do not forget to shake the jar daily.
The sweet addition
- Using a coffee filter, strain the liquid and add the maple syrup. Wait 2-3 days before using this precious nectar.
Make yourself a Pumpkin Old Fashioned, you deserve it.