Canada’s 13 best barchefs went head to head last night in Montreal!
Montreal, May 18, 2016 – It’s as part of Invasion Cocktail’s closing party that this year’s MadeWithLove National Finals took place at the Rialto Theatre last night. After a full year of competitions in 7 cities across Canada, the 13 national finalists went head to head to claim the title!
The finalists were required to present an original cocktail creation to impress judges and guests. Two panels of judges had the heavy burden of tasting all 13 cocktails in order to evaluate taste, originality and overall experience.
MadeWithLove TM was proud to count on the collaboration and participation of a panel of highly qualified international judges for this edition, including Franky Marshall, Le Boudoir (Brooklyn), Philip Duff, Director of Education for Tales of the cocktail (New York) and Nico de Soto, Mace (New York), as well as the professionalism of our panel of Canadian judges, Thierry Daraize, Journal de Montréal columnist, Nishantha Nepulongoda, Blowfish Restaurant + Sake Bar manager in Toronto, John Mike Leblond, Montreal’s Tripes et Caviar co-founder and Rachel Osborne, Philémon Bar barchef.
The top 3 finalists are :
- 1st place : Sébastien Laframboise, District Saint Joseph, Quebec City
- 2nd place : Shelby Goodwin, Black Betty Burger and Wine Bar, Calgary
- 3rd place : Pierre Gadouas, ArtGang Mtl, Montreal
The top winners get bragging rights along with one of the prestigious distillery trips offered by our generous partners.
The three winning recipes:
Pierre Gadouas with Skyy is the limit
- Skyy Vodka
- Homemade vegetable juice spiced to the taste of Montreal: Tomato, cucumber, grilled bell pepper & basil leaf
- Clam & tomato juice
- Maple syrup
- English sauce
- Lemon Spicy Montreal sauce
- Garnished with smoked meat filled sweet pepper
Shelby Goodwin with Bob & Barbs Backyard Pie
- Tequila 1800
- Appleton Estate V/X Rum
- Mom’s homemade bun water
- Saskatoon syrup
- Garnished with tequila compressed Saskatoon berries
Sébastien Laframboise with Mushroom Express
- Skyy Vodka infused with Candy Cap
- Haskap purée
- Sea bucktorn
- Pine & Candy Cap syrup
- Lemon juice
- Egg white
- Homemade maple bitters
Congratulations to all 10 other 2015-2016 finalists:
- Calgary: Nathan Head, The Milk Tiger Lounge
- Halifax: Mark Bradbury, Bicycle Thief
- Montreal: Tom Almani, Freelancer
- Quebec City: Marc-André Filion, Shaker Cuisine & Mixologie
- Toronto: Matteo Gorla, Barchef & Danielle Yoon, Annette Food Market
- Vancouver: Tyler Williamson, Fairmont Pacific Rim & Adrian Lindner, Beach Bay Café
- Winnipeg: Alex Weiss, Home Bartender & Laura Cameron, Teo’s and Mano a Mano
Thanks to our precious partners: Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum / Campari / Disaronno / Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey / Hendrick’s Gin / 1800 Tequila / Skyy Vodka / Wild Turkey