Name: Chris Krock
1. Where are you from?
2. Where do you currently work?
The Holy Roller
3. How long have you been in the industry?
Going on 20 years now with combined back of house and front of house
4. If you could work with any other Bartender in the world for one night who would it be?
Marian Beke, Nightjar, London. Love the speakeasy style
5. If you could visit any restaurant/bar in the world where would it be?
White Rabbit in Russia, following Vladimir Mukhin for years now and what he does intrigues me!
6. Who is your mentor, if you have one?
Father of course
7. Why do you feel MADE WITH LOVE, as a cocktail competition, is important for the Industry in Calgary?
It’s important for the city of Calgary to see that it’s much more than just a competition but about community and being involved. Where else in one room can you experience the most creative people the city has to offer!
8. What is the skill you look for in a competitor when you are judging?
To be humble and honest with what they are doing. Don’t try and be someone you are not.
9. What is the most impressive thing you have ever seen a bartender do?
It was in Milan at a cocktail bar called Backdoor 43. We were fortunate enough to go to the small bar and take a look around. He then proceeded to make us cocktails but pulled out a smoker and rapid infused his spirit with this blend of aromatics he had. It changed it’s so drastically.
10. What’s the most frequent error competitors do in a competition?
Over complication of what you are presenting. Everything tends to get muddled
11. What’s the biggest challenge a judge has?
Remaining openly minded to trying new ideas, or not drinking all 14 cocktails to completion! Ha ha
12. What is the most precious advice you could give to a competitor?
Just do your best and keep it fun and entertaining!