Name: Jamie Stunt
City: Ottawa, Ontario
1. Where are you from?
I grew up in Vancouver and Ottawa
2. Where do you currently work?
I’m the chef at Soif Bar à Vins in Old Hull
3. How long have you been in the culinary industry?
I’ve been working in the industry for about 17 years
4. If you could work with any other Chef in the world for one night who would it be?
I’d love to work with one of the all-time greats like Paul Bocuse or Jacques Pépin.
5. If you could visit any restaurant in the world where would it be?
I’ve always wanted to eat at Alain Passard’s L’Arperge in Paris.
6. Who is your mentor, if you have one?
I learned a lot working with John Taylor and Simon Frasier at Domus Cafe.
7. Why do you feel MADE WITH LOVE, as a cocktail competition, is important for the Industry in Ottawa?
I think that friendly competition between those at the top of their field pushes people to progress, challenge themselves and learn.
8. What is the skill you look for in a competitor when you are judging?
I’m looking for someone who’s really mastered their craft and of course, the one that makes the tastiest drink!
9. What is the most impressive thing you have ever seen a bartender do?
Cocktails have gotten increasingly elaborate and time-consuming so I’m impressed when someone is able to create something really special while still engaging their guests and getting them their drinks in a timely manner. I’m thirsty now!
10. What’s the most frequent error competitors do in a competition?
Pressure is obviously a factor in competition. I think also that sometimes the desire to stand out and do something really original can come at the cost of flavor and balance. It’s a fine line.
11. What’s the biggest challenge a judge has?
Flavour is a very subjective thing and everyone has personal preferences. The challenge is to base your scoring from neutral standpoint and stick closely to the judging criteria…. That and staying sober
12. What is the most precious advice you could give to a competitor?
Do your thing and have a blast! Santé!